A purchase and sale agreement is now in place for the acquisition of a key property connecting Upper and Lower Hawk’s Ponds. The seller has agreed to sell the 10-acre parcel for inclusion in the Hansville Greenway for $213,000–$25,000 less than the appraised value.
Great Peninsula Conservancy is managing the fundraising process through its website at https://greatpeninsula.org/property/hansville-greenway-hawks-ponds-campaign/. The goal is to raise $230,000 to cover the property, closing, and administrative costs. You can make a pledge online at the web page, or print, fill out, and mail the pledge form. Initially only pledges of at least $1,000 will be accepted. Actual donations will be collected this summer. A total of $71,500 has been pledged to date.
This project is a rare opportunity to add mature forest and wetland acreage immediately adjacent to the existing Greenway.
Successful acquisition of this property will:
- Add permanent and varied wildlife habitat to the Hansville Greenway
- Provide a permanent unobstructed wildlife corridor between Upper and Lower Hawk’s Ponds
- Prevent house construction on the property
- Prevent the three acres of trees from ever being logged and
- Provide a potential for future trails and wetland viewpoints.